Tuesday, February 2, 2010

#8 social networking

I have used facebook and think it can make your life a open book. I was surprised at how easy it was to look at pictures of people I am not signed on as friend to. I could go to someone I am signed up with as friends and just look at the list of their friends and click on one and search their photos.

This I feel could put teens at danger.

As for using it as a library I think it could help to bring students in. You could promote fun things that are happening in your library. We pass out candy at Holloween and cookies during reading days and putting pictures up would be nice. It shows we are a friendly place to be.

I have never used MySpace and felt it was used by younger people. I might make an account just to see the difference first hand.

I do feel the need to keep your professional and personal lives separate. This way you don't need to worry about censoring everything you write. Today things can be taken out of context and you leave yourself open. Not only is technology different but the world we live in is changing. MySpace and Facebook are only fun if you know you are keeping safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment